Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Little Details


Two of my top three favorite movies are Disney’s Tangled and 27 Dresses. (You are welcome to take guesses at the third, just be warned that it’s not anywhere near that ballpark.) I love lots of aspects of these movies; take the line from 27 Dresses: “I feel like I just found out my favorite love song was written about a sandwich.” LOVE IT!

But my favorite favorite things in these movies are the little details, like how Rapunzel’s chameleon is named Pascal, and one of the three books she reads is a geometry book or how right as the dream-boat, Kevin, and our Leading Lady, Jane, part ways at the taxi the Wall Street Journal truck drives between them, and it’s the same thing that drives them apart later on…

My love of little details extends to other things too…like football.

For example, I think it’s probably safe to say everyone who watches football likes watching good offense, but I’m part of the minority(?) that loves, loves, loves watching good defense.

And when the offense is out, I’m all for watching a good QB do his thing…but oh man…when those guards and tackles start doing their respective things, it’s nothing short of SPECTACULAR.

But seriously, give me a high-quality, rough-and-tumble, blow-for-blow, low-scoring game any day.

The question is, though, why do I have this fascination?

I have an on-again-off-again romance with the goal of being a published novelist. So maybe the fact that I notice little things like this is just my inner writer coming out to play and filing things away for future usage.

Or maybe I just like being able to point out the movie details to my friends so that I can look like the cool movie guru that I’m not.

I think it’s more than that.

I like when people take note of my little quirks that you wouldn’t notice about me otherwise. For example, from my itty bitty bio section, you know that I’m a football lover that wants to be a Mama. Those probably are my #1 and #2 most distinguishing features. But upon meeting me, you’d get a more detailed story, and my best friend would probably describe me even better than that.

The same goes for the reverse: I can tell you things about my best friend that her fiancé probably doesn’t even know about her (yet), and knowing each other that well is the foundation for our rock-solid friendship.

The difference is the little details.

--Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment